The Jordberga raw sugar mill in Skåne at the southern edge of Sweden. It was constructed in 1891 and used until year 2000. On an annual basis it employed some 150 people and during the "beet campaigns" in September and October, when the sugar beets were harvested, that number increased plenty. After the raw sugar had been extracted it was transported to the refinery in Arlöv north of Malmö to finally end up in kitchen cupboards and little bowls on the tables in fika rooms across Scandinavia.
Mentioned in Selma Lagerlöf's classic “Nils Holgerssons underbara resa genom Sverige / The Wonderful Adventures of Nils” from 1906/07 as “ … some large, heavy structures with tall smoke stacks surrounded by plenty of smaller buildings”. Danisco Sugar, the last owner, decided to have the plant demolished despite a number of seemingly serious alternatives. The demolishing began in August 2008, just a week after our visit. Photos of the surrounding buildings such as the director's house and fire station to come.